Click to Home

Go To Search
RSSPrintEmailFacebookTwitter


Shelby County Museum and Archives
Points Of Interest
Location: 1854 N. Main Street
Columbiana, AL 35051
Maps: Google | Bing | Yahoo!
Contact Phone: 205 669-3912
Link: Visit Website
This restored courthouse, c. 1854, holds treasures for genealogists and history buffs alike.

The Shelby County Historical Society is dedicated to the discovery, collection, and preservation of all things related to the history of Shelby County Alabama; to the encouragement, promotion, and sponsorship of historical research and the public dissemination of that research; to the acquisition of physical artifacts and documents and provision of their public display; and to the presentation of educational programs and other activities for our citizens and visitors about our past history and our heritage.

We are located in the Old Shelby County Courthouse built in 1854 in Columbiana, Alabama. This building has been designated a historic landmark by the National Register of Historic Places.

The Museum displays many old Shelby County photographs and artifacts from the Indian era through WWII; including such items as the bell from the Alabama, a well-known railroad engine during its time, Creek Indian artifacts, the 1906 Shelby County Courthouse cornerstone contents removed June 24, 2006, and three chestnut wood cars and several feet of wood track that were found on May 4, 1974 in the forgotten Confederate Gurnee Coal Mine in West Shelby County.

See our Virtual Tour for up to date displays.

Photo Gallery Photo Gallery

Shelby County